Edwin van der Sar has decided to extend his stay at Manchester United by signing a new one-year contract. The 39-year-old Dutchman had been in talks with Sir Alex Ferguson over his future and has decided to extend his commitment at Old Trafford.

Van der Sar said: "I would like to keep on playing so I have decided to sign another contract. The club want me to stay and I'm happy here. My fitness is good and I feel I can carry on playing for United."

His decision to extend his stay means he will stay United’s No.1 for at least another season. I am sure Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszak would be feeling frustrated to see Van der Sar play on beyond his 40th birthday.

VDS has been coping with some family problems since Christmas. He was out of action at the start of the season due to a finger injury and then went on a compassionate leave following his wife's suspected brain hemorrhage. He now seems to be firmly focused on his professional career and Sir Alex Ferguson must be a happy man to see VDS stay at OT for another season.

Meanwhile, Van der Sar has again ruled himself out of joining the Dutch squad at the World Cup in South Africa this summer. Having played 130 games for the Dutch team, his last appearance was in the October 2008 qualifier against Norway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 
Creative Commons License