Wayne Rooney has been named the new Manchester United captain by manager Louis van Gaal, with Darren Fletcher named as vice-captain.

Louis van Gaal said:
For me it's always very important the choice of captain. Wayne has shown a great attitude towards everything he does. I have been very impressed by his professionalism and his attitude to training and to my philosophy. He is a great inspiration to the younger members of the team and I believe he will put his heart and soul into his captaincy role.
Darren Fletcher will become the vice-captain. Darren is a natural leader and will captain the team when Wayne isn't playing. Darren is a very experienced player and a very popular member of the dressing room, I know he will work well alongside Wayne.

Several United fans and pundits were expecting Robin van Persie to lead the Red Devils in the coming season, particularly because of his good working relation with manager Louis van Gaal. However, I think LVG has been smart in appointing Rooney over RVP as it will put a huge responsibility on the English striker, so much so that he won't consider quitting United.

On being announced the new captain of Manchester United, Wayne Rooney said:
It is a huge honour for me – and for my family – to be named captain of this great club. It is a role I will perform with great pride. Team spirit has always been very high in our dressing room and I am very grateful to the manager for the faith he has shown in me. I look forward to leading the team out on Saturday at our first match of the new season.

Manchester United will start the new BPL season hosting Swansea City at Old Trafford on Saturday, August 16.

How are you preparing for the coming new season of English football? Tweet your thoughts at @ManUtdDugout

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 
Creative Commons License